Commodity: Specialty Citrus
Specialty citrus includes tangelos, pummelos and other lesser-known citrus varieties. Many consumer are unfamiliar with those items, so engage your shoppers with samples and educational signage to drive sales.
- Specialty citrus has a host of health benefits beyond the obvious vitamin C content. Vitamin C is an immune-system booster and a cancer-fighting antioxidant. Citrus also contains nutrients that can help fight cancer as well as promote healthy skin and protect the brain against age-related mental decline.
- While citrus is often used as a snack, it does lend itself to cross-merchandising with items like salad mixes, juicers, peelers and zesters.
- Some specialty citrus is available year-round. Keep consumers interested in citrus throughout the year.
- Fall: Include specialty citrus in back-to-school promotions as a great way to get kids eating plenty of vitamin C.
- Winter: Citrus goes hand-in-hand with the winter holidays. Promote it as a nutritious breakfast or brunch option and as a tangy addition to salads for the holiday table.
- Spring: Appeal to consumers looking to get their bodies in shape for the summer by promoting specialty
citrus as a new flavor for juicing.
- Summer: On-the-go families are always looking for healthy, portable snacks. Promote citrus as the perfect traveling food that won’t melt or spoil in the car.
- It’s tempting to build taller citrus displays because the round fruit stacks well. However, those displays can end up rolling around the floor of your produce department if a consumer pulls the wrong piece. Keep stacks low to avoid slipping hazards.
- Include plenty of signs to tell consumers about specialty citrus items. Post information about flavors and uses.
- Consider offering a variety pack of specialty citrus to encourage consumers to try new things.
- Include a wide variety of specialty citrus in your display. Giving consumers plenty of options helps them to vary their selections.
- Take advantage of the plentiful supply of citrus during the winter when other fruits may not be as available. Promote citrus heavily during the winter season and create a large citrus display near the front of your department that includes several varieties of specialty citrus.
- Use citrus juice as a tenderizer for meat. The meat gets tender, and you get a unique flavor.
- Offer citrus as part of a healthy breakfast bar.