Watermelon contest displays go ‘above and beyond’
More than 150 stores participated in the National Watermelon Board’s retail display contest this summer.
The displays focused on the health, value and versatility of watermelons.
“This year’s entries were incredible,” Juliemar Rosado, director of retail operations and international marketing, said in a news release. “The stores didn’t just meet the judging criteria, they went above and beyond. Judging was very tough this year.”
Winners in the “Classic” category are:
- Grand prize — Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas;
- 2nd place— Leduc Coop, Leduc, Alberta;
- 3rd place — Smokey Point Commissary, Marysville, Wash.; and
- 4th place — Remke Markets Turfway, Florence, Ky.
In the “Star-Spangled” category, winners are:
- Grand prize — MacDill Air Force Base, Tampa, Fla.;
- 2nd place — Camp Lejeune, Jacksonville, N.C.;
- 3rd place — Academy Commissary, Academy, Colo.; and
- 4th place — Naval Station Mayport Commissary, Atlantic Beach, Fla.
Grand prize winners receive $1,500 in prizes, second-place winners receive $800, third-place winners receive $600, and fourth-place winners receive $400, according to the release. Eight honorable mention contest entries in each category were awarded $200.