U.S. Apple selects 2020 class of Young Apple Leaders
The U.S. Apple Association has announced its class of 2020 Young Apple Leaders.
Eleven women and men were selected for the program, according to a news release. They are:
- Ben Boyer, Boyer Orchards, New Paris, Pa.;
- Carley Brown, Sage Fruit Co., Wapato, Wash.;
- Alex Buck, Fruit Growers Marketing Association, Newcomerstown, Ohio;
- Brooke Grobe, Grobe Fruit Farm, Elyria, Ohio;
- Cailin Kowalewski, New York Apple Association, Fishers, N.Y.;
- Bryan Monson, Monson Fruit, Selah, Wash.;
- Gilbert Plath, Washington Fruit and Produce Co., Yakima, Wash.;
- Kylee Rasch, Newaygo Insurance Agency, Sparta, Mich.;
- Angela Sommers, BelleHarvest, Belding, Mich.;
- Rob Verbridge, Pultneyville Fruit Farms, Williamson, N.Y.; and
- Sarah Wells, Crunch Time Apple Growers, Lockport, N.Y.
The 2020 class is the first in the revamped Young Apple Leader program, according to the release. The apple association expanded the program to include year-long communications and advocacy training, industry workshops, advocacy and member events and other hands-on experience. The Young Apple Leaders, who are paired with apple industry mentors, will become social media ambassadors for the organization, according to the release.
“These young leaders are enthusiastic and eager to make a difference,” Jim Bair, president and CEO of the U.S. Apple Association, said in the release. “By arming these young leaders with mentors, learning tools and industry resources throughout the entire year, we are confident they will remain engaged in the industry and be prepared for leadership opportunities within the organization.”
The 2020 class will go to Washington, D.C., on March 11 as part of U.S. Apple’s Capitol Hill Day, according to the release. The class also will participate in U.S. Apple Association’s Outlook Conference, Aug. 20-21, in Chicago.
Sponsors of the 2020 Young Apple Leaders program include: Domex Superfresh Growers, Hudson River Fruit Distributors, the Michigan Apple Committee, New York Apple Association, New York Apple Sales Inc., and the Ohio Apple Marketing Program. More details about the program and how to apply for it are available on the U.S. Apple Association website.