Kroger and Polymer Logistics win reusable packaging award
Polymer Logistics’ Cleanpal pallets can be used for fresh produce, meat, eggs and all types and sizes of corrugated boxes. Kroger’s recognitiion was for its 2018 commercial pilot demonstrating the cost savings and environmental impact reductions of using Cleanpal pallets to distribute fresh eggs to Kroger stores, said Dana Embry, Polymer Logistics manager of trade development.
According to Polymer Logistics, the pallet design creates a secure shipping platform that reduces distribution costs by up to 66% compared to traditional block pallets, by:
- Requiring less space to store on site, storing nearly two-thirds more pallets;
- Cutting freight costs when delivering the pallets, with 1,300 nestable pallets vs. 520 traditional pallets; and
- Using less fuel to ship the pallets, which weigh 27 pounds, compared to 65-pound traditional pallets.
“While the Kroger pilot focused on egg shipments as a case study, the full program and its intention is to rapidly expand Cleanpal use into all fresh and frozen commodities in both RPC and corrugated,” Embry said.
The Cleanpal pallet weighs less than traditional pallets and has an interlocking design for nestable stacking in storage and transit, according to a news release. It interlocks with reusable plastic containers for stacking stability, eliminating the need for shrink wrap, corner boards and other items used to keep products from shifting, according to the release.
“Kroger is committed to Zero Hunger-Zero Waste in everything we touch,” Joe O’Connor, Kroger supply chain process change manager, said in the release. “And this goal has led our drive to expand packaging reuse solutions with pallets and RPCs. The CleanPal pallet and the partnership with Polymer Logistics was a significant leap in our work up and down the supply chain…”
Kroger and Polymer Logistics will present the award-winning entry at Pack Expo at the Las Vegas Convention Center on Sept. 24.
- Looking back to the future of packaging
- Kroger produce executive urges innovation, customer focus for apples
- Kroger, Loop launch reusable packaging pilot